View Single Post
Old 05.13.2014, 04:45 PM   #83
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Just be less obvious and more like this poster from another forum. Who, obviously, got there before you did.

''It's possible to work a fairly normal 40-hour work week in NYC, but your job will probably be very stressful -- or, if you're working for yourself, you will be whoring (or "hustling," if you're a dumbass or sociopath and want to glorify your cheap existence) yourself and your product at all fucking hours. I've done the former; am incapable of the latter. Neither seem like a viable option to me. Both are repulsive. The latter is repugnant.

I had a flirtatious exchange with some dumb ditch at a bar about a year ago. Manhattan-born. I asked her what her opinion was of someone like me: someone who moved here with no real trajectory; just curiosity and boredom. I'm paraphrasing, but she said something like, "Well, if you're not here for a reason, you need to get the fuck out of the way." Yeah. Real cute party line she adopted from whomever. Wonder how she feels about all the illegal immigrants who essentially run the restaurants. Or all the interns or underpaid peons who leverage the shit-work for entertainment and media. There's no room for actual humanity here.

David Byrne writing about life in NYC is a joke. He's a joke. I don't need his opinion. His take on the money bubble in NYC is -- to paraphrase once more -- something like, "Well, this obsession with money has led otherwise creative people to choose a career in trading or real estate." Well, my take is that if you're that interested in money, I could give a shit about what you chose. If I could choose for these people, I'd place them in a gulag and encourage them to decimate one another. Even if they did pursue art or any sort, I would suss them out and write them off from the word "go." Furthermore, I don't think most people I know and respect who create this/that/other had a choice at all. They were maligned and had to make something. Wall Street was never an option. For me, personally, I could not even conceive what that kind of life entails, and even if I were intensely interested in becoming rich, I would have no idea how to do it and am not unscrupulous and sociopathic enough to make it a reality.

I don't care how jaded, ignorant or childish this sounds: I can't wait for the real freaks to take music back from the squares. I can't wait for these middling media outlets like Vice, Brooklyn Vegan, etc. to die a slow, agonizing death. If I were smart, I'd find a way to exploit them for money. But I'm not smart. I'm angry.

''NYC's only saving graces are museums and attractive women. I've seen all the former. The latter are typically stupid. I'm not really interested in a meat-mitten at this point, but if I were: what a grand ol' time.''
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|