View Single Post
Old 09.23.2013, 08:39 PM   #22
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDrago
As for Sonic Nurse being number one, I think the guitar textures on DDN and Sister are superior. However, SN does have some really excellent songs on it, but as an album it doesn't have that almost conceptual feel to it, which someone else pointed out on another thread.

Wait, what? I can feel you about the difference in guitar texture, if anything it seems that may have been the intent. Sonic Nurse feels more minimalist yet musical of all the Sonic Youth albums. As far as a conceptual album, I don't see where you can't see it. The band often described the concept of that album, which was an attempt to merge their two distinct styles, the more chaotic, noisy, feedback oriented "music" with the more structured, harmonic, musical chord-based tunes. Perhaps you weren't blessed to see some of the stageshows from that first Nurse tour, but they were epic. THAT was the concept, what vehicles that music could be for improvisation, and in that explorative process live on stage find that syncretic blend between improvised chaos and structured music. I think it worked, and that is why I have that album as my number one. What is fucking funny to me, is I thought even putting The Eternal on the list would cause the most controversy, not having Nurse as my favorite. By the way, Sonic Nurse isn't just my favorite Sonic Youth album, its in my top-five records of all time from ANY band

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|