View Single Post
Old 09.25.2016, 01:22 PM   #48180
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
I'm much more happy with Schmilco than I was with the new Dinosaur jr.

I don't dislike it (Give a Glimpse of What Yer Not, that is) and I like it when the individual songs pop up on shuffle. But I have tried listening to the whole album, and it just feels like a pointless exercise. It's not great when you know going in hat you're not going to be surprised by anything on an album. It's not that it's bad, because it's not, but Jesus, it's like, "Why am I doing this?" Listening to just about any other new release would feel more productive. Like I was at least learning something, however stupid and trivial, just by receiving that new information. Even if it's total shit, it would be a more fruitful endeavor than listening to Dino play long crunchy rock songs and shredding.

I've been listening to J Mascis shred since I was in middle school.

I'm sure I'm being too hard on the album, and I'm sure there will come a time when I happily play it all the way through and enjoy it thoroughly. But right now, there's just SO MUCH music out there, all the time. It's time I could be spending learning about some new artist on SoundCloud, or playing one of the thousands of different mixtapes and self-releases that slip through the cracks.

I only have so much time to listen to music. If I'm not just totally enjoying it, and having my brain stimulated, or at least learning how I feel about something, and having a new experience, what's the point?

Anyway, a million words later, Schmilco works because it makes my brain feel good, even if the information I'm receiving is not entirely new. They're a gifted enough band that they always come up with ways to capture ones attention with subtle studio tricks, or well placed, intricate mood shifts.

Dinosaur jr. seems to be just going through the slow motions. If that's what Sonic Youth had done in their twilight years, they probably would have stopped being my favorite band. I'm way too distractable and ADD for the same tempos, song structures and chord changes to hold my attention over the long haul.

I feel guilty for saying all of this. Dinosaur jr. was one of my first loves of indie rock. Actually, I think they *were* my first. So I don't love the fact that their new albums bore me stupid.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|