View Single Post
Old 11.29.2011, 07:16 PM   #10
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

ann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's asses
W/ noise, it's all about being creative. Trying to come up with new sounds in unconventional ways, or at least attempting (I say "attempting" because in 2011 it can seem impossible sometimes) new approaches to more traditional instruments. Weird oddball tunings/strumming patterns/etc. Pedals are not necessary even though they can make creating noise easier or make one sound more experienced than they actually are (in other words, I enjoy pedals but feel people hide behind them sometimes. It's easy to make something sound interesting with pedals). Whammy bars can be fun and useful but get old fast. Mine has spent most of the four years I've owned my guitar in the guitar case. Come up with an idea, a sound, and figure out how to obtain it. Or just use what ya'v got while saving/investing in new stuff (yes, this can mean pedals) and experiment until ya find something you like. The music of others, in my opinion, should be used more so as a guide to ideas than a "how to", at least when it comes to noise. noise is based on improvisation. And despite what some will say, learning to play an instrument in traditional ways/tunings can pave way for new exciting ideas even when it comes to noise. First Sonic EP had some hella noisy moments, and from what I understand they used standard tuning on that one.

Listen to music you normally wouldn't have much interest in.
Read books above yr ability level.
Get sad/get angry/get happy...
And just explain it via yr guitar however you know how.

There are no rules to noise, as someone else has said. If there must be rules, make yr own.