View Single Post
Old 02.26.2015, 08:52 AM   #46225
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by hirsute_biped

Not really, sure makes sense to me.
My jaw dropped when I read the new album announcement. Admittedly I haven't been keeping up with any rumors or GYBE news lately, but that's mainly because I assumed - though I'm not sure why - that Allelujah! Don't Bend, Ascend! was going to be an isolated incident, and that they'd be focusing on touring and their other active projects for at least five years or so.

But naw, we got another new album on the way just one year after getting the next ASMZ record in years, and only a little over 2 years since their comeback won them a Polaris award.

I fucking love good surprises.

Though has anyone else noticed that the general attitude toward ...Don't Bend, Ascend! among (supposed) GY!BE lifers has cooled significantly since it dropped? The owner of the record store where I offer my number crunching services a few days a week claims it was a disappointment, roughly on par with a b-sides or rarities release, and easily their worst record.

I'm not sure I can agree with that.

Anyway, I'm stoked to see that their reunion wasn't as short lived as I thought it would be, and as a card carrying GY!BE OG, I'm pumped for this new joint as my father is for every new Springsteen album.

The world didn't really need Godspeed in 2012 like they did in 2000, but with all historical precedent pointing to a Republican White House in 2016 and an entirely red legislative branch, I think we're going to need a little anarchy in the record stores.

I'm abstaining from all early listening, though. At least for the time being. I want the new material to hit like a pile driver. And it's not as though they're a *singles* band. I will withhold listening until a complete version or live recording is released.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|