View Single Post
Old 08.10.2016, 08:02 PM   #35
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
insane or not its true. its not that i reject The Seer, its that i have no interest in it anymore. whenever i am about to dedicate an hour to Swans music To Be Kind gets my attention more.

this is true. i never particularly liked older swans. i had of course checked it out. i just didn't dig much of it, not my kind of noise music. The Seer on the other hand, that was a beautiful record at the time. however i personally feel like it was a stepping stone to To Be Kind, and i now find TBK to be the superior listening experience, it just resonates with me more. and hey, i get it, i am the king of unpopular musical tastes even among fans of bands i like. i ALWAYS seem to like the records people like less, and i always seem to think less of the records that are people's hands down favorites. i mean, Sonic Nurse is my all time favorite Sonic Youth record, not anything from the 80s even if i fully understand that such an opinion is anathema to Sonic Youth fans.

i know its no The Seer, that is because its better

Well, I have a different opinion about which album is better, but I still dig you.

I too have been known to prefer less popular/obvious albums. Sonic Nurse is without question an example of peak Sonic Youth. If not for "Dude Ranch Nurse" (fine singed, great groove, but I wish it had been a b-side), I'd call it a perfect album.

Before Sonic Nurse even existed, I argued that A Thousand Leaves was the best SY album. This didn't sit well with most, as you can probably imagine. Now I'm pretty firmly a Sister guy, but when it really comes down to it, my favorite SY album could be Bad Moon, Sister, DDN, ATL, Murray Street or Sonic Nurse depending on my mood.

Regarding Radiohead — just as a for instance — I think Hail to the Thief is their best album without question. People don't tend to agree.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|