View Single Post
Old 03.14.2014, 12:58 PM   #65
Screaming Skull
children of satan

Screaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lawrence
I was about to start a thread on the NYCG&F vinyl but decided to search and see if there was a recent one. Glad I did!

I haven't heard this album on CD in quite a while (and I do recall it sounding pretty dynamic), but I'm listening to the vinyl right now. I just randomly went and laid down with my head between the speakers during the last minute and a half of "Free City Rhymes" and opening my eyes at the end felt like returning from another dimension. Totally mind-crushing, just beautiful depth of sound. Kim's bass notes on "side2side" practically sit on your shoulder. Thurston's bike horn on "Lightnin'"..eh, you get the idea!

My point is: find this album on vinyl. I may even prefer the altered track listing, though it's clear the CD is the intended order of the songs.

I've long been on record as saying NYCG&F is my least favorite Sonic Youth record, but Chris' experience here is so vivid I may have to go give it another spin! I know what he's saying about "another dimension". I once got so entranced by the swirl of 'Scooter + Jinx' that I almost fell out when the silence hit at the end of the track. It was the loudest silence I've ever heard...
Screaming Skull is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|