View Single Post
Old 03.11.2017, 10:18 AM   #48571
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
been listening to random Flaming Lips all night. I've always been upset that "Borderline" never landed on one of their Fwends albums. I think it's one of their best covers ever.

Oh my god that "Borderine" cover is great!!!

I'm fucking sick of covers, and I'm sick of the Flaming Lips doing covers... but when they're not filling entire fucking albums with the things, abd they pick their tunes with more care, they really are good at it. And "Borderline" is probably the best one they've done.

It does what covers should do: it pays tribute while also taking the song into thrilling new territory. The best covers tend to pull from less "cool" sources (not that '80s Madonna wasn't cool), and bend, meld and reinterpret the song until it becomes a new animal. Some songs are just made to be covered in bizarre and freaked out way (I'm still waiting for some kickass noise-pop group to cover "Bette Davis Eyes"), and "Bordeline" is one of those songs. The Lips made it better than the original.

It would have fit nicely on Thw Terror actually, but I don't think any "Fwends" were involved, so I'm not sure it would have made sense on Heady Fwends — certainly not on With a Little Help From my Fwends or their Dark Side of the Moon or Stone Roses albums.

Still, I agree.

"What's so Funny About Peace, Love and Understandig" was a good early cover. As was "What a Wonderful World."
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|