View Single Post
Old 03.07.2017, 04:37 PM   #48564
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
I'm trying to get away from making huge ass playlists of music, and getting back to making self-contained sequenced mixtape style playlists. Stuff with a theme and a flow that clocks in at under an hour.

So I was thinking of those old like Ultra Chilled or Late Night Tales compilations that I was listening to a lot in the early 2000's and tried to make something that kind of fit that mold.

ULTRA CHILLED 17

1. Grandaddy - Nonphenomenal Lineage
2. Aphex Twin - Xtal
3. Yo La Tengo - Autumn Sweater (Kevin Shields rmx)
4. u-Ziq - Octelcogopod
5. M83 - Skin Of The Night
6. Badly Drawn Boy - My Friend Cubilas
7. Handsome Boy Modeling Shool - I've Been Thinking (f. Cat Power)
8. Moby - Memory Gospel
9. Squarepusher - Love Will Tear Us Apart
10. Caribou - Brandon
11. Radiohead - Everything In Its Right Place
12. Tortoise - Glass Museum

That's a pretty good mix. No love for Moby, but other than that, solid.

I also don't like Badly Drawn Boy, but Hour of the Bewilderbeast had some great tracks. I actually think "Cause A Rockslide" is quite a perfect little tune, in a simultaneously chaotic and lovely, noisy and elegant. That's one of those instances where a so-so artist just made a TREMENDOUS fucking song, way better than the some of his career, and the song just went entirely unnoticed and wasn't even one of his relative hits.

You know what I'm taking about? You like "Cause a Rockslide?" If you ask me, that song is one of the best of its decade. It could easily have been a mid-'90s Sonic Youth track, or a late-'90s Modest Mouse track, or an early 2000s Blur track... y'know? It's pretty fucking unreal in its amazingness compared to the rest of his stuff.

Aphex Twin, Caribou, Squarepusher, YLT, etc. all aces. But where's Boards of Canada? Must had Boards for chillz.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|