View Single Post
Old 07.28.2009, 04:39 AM   #7441
o o o
the destroyed room

o o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Seriously though, fugazifan have you seen Satantango?:

I just keep thinking it'd be your favorite film.

Sátántangó might well be my favourite film and Béla Tarr might well be my favourite director!... I've only seen Sátántangó twice, each time over a week-end, I don't remember everything, but I really love it. The opening scene with the cows wandering in the empty town, the tango scene, the scene where two characters are walking down the street with a strong wind behind them and garbage flying all over... many images that stay with you. I realise it's probably not everyone's cup of tea, the scenes are very long and one has to be very patient, but it can be very rewarding.

fugazifan, if you are worried about the duration of that movie, maybe you can start first with one of his shorter movies, such as Werckmeister Harmonies or Damnation (that's actually the two only other Béla Tarr movies I've seen!). They also contain very long scenes, but maybe it is more accessible because those films are only between 2 and 3 hours long (I think). Out of the two, my favourite might be Werckmeister Harmonies, perhaps becaus of one scene where the main character teaches a bunch of drunkards the solar system and the mechanism of eclipses by making them act/dance one as the sun, one as the earth, one as the moon, etc (edit - ah, here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFmu7BYbthY). There is also a great scene in an hospital later in the movie. But Damnation is really good too, it's just that I have only seen it once, so maybe I have less memories of it.

Also, the music is always great in Béla Tarr movies.
o o o is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|