Thread: drugs/music
View Single Post
Old 08.20.2009, 03:04 AM   #28
ni'k
invito al cielo

ni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's asses
that's a fantastic point about lucid dreams.

Mark Fisher - "The Mondays' transposition of Sly Stone and Krautrock into a Mancunian idiom, their translation of p-funk glossalalia into what Simon called 'dosser speak', was a mystical materialism - but they had to be sold as just ordinary lads, havin' a fookin laff, any weirdness played down, attributed to the pills... (One more way in which drugs, far from undermining the reality principle, tend to shore it up...)"

i think an example of what i was saying earlier would be kurt cobain, who after fleeing rehab to take heroin, found that his credit card had been cancelled, and so got all the heroin he could on loan and then shot himself. seems to me that drugs where more important to him than music.

in our culture of commodity fetishism, you could make the argument that drugs and the myth that is sold with them actually serves the purpose of making people believe that they need to buy a little pill to get high. that they will always have to rely on a product, something external they have to buy. what is implied here is that the mind is incapable on its own of pyschoactive/hallucinatory/imaginative feats, and that you have to put something external inside to do these things. this is of course utter bullshit. it's as if the drugs act as an obstacle to block up your brain that are also highly detrimental and addictive.

people seem to think they are radical or counter cultural by taking drugs, yet the cia sells crack, and drugs make you more dependent on the dealer and only limit your freedom.
ni'k is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|