View Single Post
Old 05.31.2015, 11:48 AM   #47773
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortte Jousimo
No. Black Flag is the only one I think Iīve heard a little. I donīt know why but Henry Rollins irritates me, specially in his solo career. Heīs of course great guy and has an attitude and blahblah. Anyway I am going to check also Black Flag, because Iīve got also wrong picture of Minutemen (just because I hadnīt heard those great first albums). I am really glad I have now five weeks Holiday, so time to listen all great music!

Wait, wait - remember that Black Flag existed for years before Rollins came on board, and that Greg Ginn was really the closest thing the band had to a consistent creative director.

So don't let your opinion of Henry Rollins form your opinion of Black Flag. Check out the Process of Weeding Out (instrumental album), and Nervous Breakdown (debut EP from '78 with Keith Morris of Circle Jerks handling vocal duties, years before Rollins started playing with the group a la Damaged.)

Really, I say Minutement were the ultimate hardcore band because of how immensely talented and influential they were. In many ways they were as singular and inimitable as Sonic Youth. But Black Flag were equally adventurous, with musical aspirations that went way beyond the restrictions of hardcore. They were challenging, and heavy, and eclectic, influenced by metal, jazz, punk and noise. They were so much more than just "That band Henry Rollins used to be in."

Dude, I hate to beat a dead horse here, but if you're really digging on Monutemen and want more "old" music to investigate, then reading Our Band Could Be Your Life might be just the thing for you. The book is fairly limited in scope because it only gives proper chapters to American bands, and focuses almost exclusively on their indie years, glossing over the successes some of the bands had after signing onto a major. But it will definitely give you reasons to check out these bands once you read about how into bands like CCR many of these groups were.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|