View Single Post
Old 10.24.2011, 03:49 PM   #13
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
...Just as Nevermind just blew away hairbands and Michael Jackson, so do did OK Computer and I think more so Kid A later push away the alternative/grunge era and bring in both the resurgence of art rock bands (all these "The ..." bands) and also electronic music out of the rave closet and into the top 40...

You've possibly got a point Stateside, but this was a pretty minor song in '97. It's not good (at all - possibly the worst thing you could listen to) but it does show that there were plenty of people trying to find a way to incorporate the rave influences into a pop framework. Over here, the view was very different - this was a massive hit, and by the time Ok Computer came out, Prodigy, Chemical Brothers, Orbital and a few others were household names and festival headliners.

And from another perspective, the thing with indie/ guitar music is that it's been stuck in the 80s since the 80s. Plenty of non-indie, non-guitar bands were experimenting with new technology - but it took a while (probably until Kid A) to take a proper hold within guitar music. Though a note on that - there was a few bands in the Baggy scene (Stone Roses, Happy Mondays) who were on the cusp of indie and the more (technologically) experimental acid house scene - but John Squire thought he was Malmsteen and Ryder was a waster, so what should've been a creative meeting of worlds quickly became staid nostalgia on one side (Oasis, Britpop) and headed away from the charts and back to the raves on the other (Jungle > dnb).

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I am saying that the above just isn't true in the UK.

I have never liked Fugazi and I probably never will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|