View Single Post
Old 02.24.2017, 08:41 PM   #4567
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
Pynchon is boring AF. so is Salinger.

I have tried asnd tried with thopse wto but life is too short.

Re: Vonnegut, I think people mistake simplicity with being juvenile/underdeveloped, when the hardest thing in the fucking world is conveying an idea in the simplest possible way so that it is undiluted. Vonnegut appeals to the cynics, the depressed, the ones who see everything we are supposed to take part in while living (church, politics, war, etc.) as fucking BULLSHIT, and who suffer because of this ambivalence towards what everyone else thinks is important. He was not the greatest prose stylist, but so what? There is more than one way to pluck a guitar string.

His books are funnier, and more of a FUCK YOU to the status quo we all live in, while still maintaining that essential goodness of man that Freethinkers and Unitarians cling to.

I get this. Sure. Cool.

Again, it's from an SF fan's perspective that I have beef with KVJ. I don't like seeing Slaughterhouse Five on best SF lists, above PKD or Wolfe or Bradbury.

But I like "Long Walk to Forever," so... fuck. The guy did simple well, and it's very true that writing simply and with any degree of eloquence is one of ge great challenges writers face.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|