View Single Post
Old 02.02.2010, 01:10 PM   #1
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
after playing some unplugged tunes on the guitar this morning I realized just how creative and diverse that album really is..

I strummed through "Oh Me" which is a rather serious, hauntingly beautiful rendition of that tune, very dreary and somber.

Then I said fuck it and played "About a Girl" which when I got into the solo realized was a rather upbeat 50s rock and roll number..

My awareness came because I played in a blues band and we did a lot of jazz, reggae and even ol rock n roll like Chuck Berry numbers and it felt the same..

Now I have been playing About A Girl unplugged version as a warm up tune for years but i never had this epiphany before.. Sure, I knew all the record critics had hailed this album for being groundbreaking and diverse, obscure and artistic, but I had never really comprehended this as a musician

I mean look at all the diverse styles of music represented in that one performance, and from a punk band no less!

I think that one of the reasons i have evolved into such a diverse musician and guitar player is because I literally learned to play the guitar from this album.. the track list of unplugged was the first tunes I could play on the guitar because duh, it was the only simple acoustic album I had at the time in my then more limited record collection.

I have been in metal bands, chaos punk bands, delta blues, chicago blues, roots reggae, dub reggae, folk, jazz, I even play Ethiopian music on the guitar flawlessly as if it was a damned masinqo

perhaps Nirvana Unplugged had a big influence on this, because initially I only listened to heavy tunes, Unplugged is the album that softened my ear. The Dead blew it away, but Nirvana ironically softened it..

What do y'all think? I mean this was a Top40 album, playing good coffee shop tunes across the airwaves of america for like 96-99 running.. Surely it influenced a lot of folks to get into more obscure things like old David Bowie albums and Leadbelly records..

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|