View Single Post
Old 05.20.2015, 12:08 AM   #46614
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
I dont not like unwound, heard some polvo, heard of lungfish. I like shoegaze more than hardcore. Really chevelle is a guilty pleasure, i either go shoegaze or punk but rarely go for the metal/hardcore middle ground. I think the only hardvore band i ever liked was KMFDM

Not to be a fucking asshole, but KMFDM ain't no hardcore nothin'. They're fairly lightweight industrial with dance and pop sensibilities.

Unwound isn't metal. They were on Kill Rock Stars. Don't get me wrong, they can be heavy as sin, but they're actually a lot more like Sonic Youth than they are/were like anyone else.

And when I say hardcore in reference to them, I'm speaking of the "punk" kind of hardcore; not its distant cousins in the metal or industrial scenes. I just mean they grew out of the 1980's, and the drone and noise adopted by that decade's punk visionaries.

I am really kinda talking about stuff like Sonic Youth, Mission of Burma, Scratch Acid, Fugazi, Big Black, and the bands (like Unwound, Slint, etc) who latched on to this more expansive version of punk that embraced artsy musical elements, longer song lengths and changing time signatures.

I don't know... you like Deftones and Tool. I tend to think of Tool especially as an accessible, LA, rock starry version of Unwound, Slint, Rodan, etc.

Dude, you really don't like Unwound? Leaves Turn Inside You is like... Jesus, it's like the Daydream Nation of the 00's, AND the Kid A of the ... y'know... the non arena rock bands.

With all your love for Sleater-Kinney.. I thought you'd be a K-R-S fanboy.

Oh well. I'm just trying to get you addicted to new sonic narcotics. If you respect my opinion on music at all, look further into Unwound. I would throw my support behind them every bit as much as I would for SY, Aphex Twin, Velvet Underground, Kanye West. Take that and do with it what you will.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|