View Single Post
Old 11.06.2006, 02:45 PM   #71
GeneticKiss
expwy. to yr skull

GeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaydenAsche
Why would you get your ass kicked for writing a shitty post with no point for anyone to even get pissed about?

What I really mean is that now that the band has another avenue to express themselves, they can put all the experimental, noisy stuff on the SYRs, while putting the more mellow, mainstream stuff on the Geffen releases, to keep the label happy. You might remember that Geffen once sued Neil Young for not sounding enough like Neil Young, and tried to kick Carlos Santana out of Santana. I don't know that SY are a huge cash cow for Geffen, but if SY suddenly became "noncommerical" in their eyes, they might get a little pissed.

So what I was basically saying is that the balance between melody and noise and innovation was lost when Sonic Youth realized the freedom they have not needing to satisfy "commerical demand"...they get their experimenting out on the SYRs, while largely sticking to formula on the major releases, and that I think the band's major releases would be more interesting if they didn't have the SYRs.
GeneticKiss is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|