View Single Post
Old 07.26.2017, 12:02 PM   #1440
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
Another recommendation I just watched is The Daemons. From the Pertwee era, and not necessarily in the very top tier quality-wise but pure trademark Dr Who, and one of my favourite stories revolving around The Master.

Also, growing up during the Tom Baker era, I'll always have a soft spot for him but I can see myself edging more and more towards Jon Pertwee. If anything his interpretation seems a lot closer to someone like Doctor Strange. (Reason #4537 why Benedict Cumberbatch was born to play the part).

Anyway, yeah, if The Daemons is on Netflix you could do an awful lot worse.

Isn't Pertwee's son the guy who plays Alfred on Gotham? A 50-something chap who was in, umm, Midsummer Murders or something?

Anyway, I actually rather strongly disagree about Cumberbach now that I think on it. He doesn't have the zaniness necessary to be the Doctor. And he's already taken on so many legacy characters it's kind of getting ridiculous. Strange, Khan, Sherlock, probably some others...

I think Sir Ian Macellan would do just wonderfully in a big trans-Atlantic blockbuster directed by, say, Christopher Nolan OR... Michael Cain? Eh? Two cracking good choices for a big deal film that needed real star power.

My favorite Doctor is Tenant, but I really like Smith and Capaldi and also Baker and Pertwee though I've seen not a ton of the latter. I think Tennant just had some of the best 1-2 episode stories in Who history. Smith had some truly epic *arcs* about that lasted from beginning of one season to... well... the end of, like, two seasons later... and he did an excellent job with the character, but he didn't really offer anything strikingly different from Tennant, except for a fez and a bow tie and a childlike sense of innocence, but all in all I think Tennant could have nailed most Smith episodes.

Capaldi brought some great new emotions and layers, and some stupid new sunglasses and electric guitars into the mix. Toss out the guitars and I think he was Fucking awesome. Especially when he was mean as shit. Why didn't that last longer? The mean-as-shitness?
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|