View Single Post
Old 04.22.2006, 07:40 PM   #110
chabib
Administrator

chabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atari 2600
thanks for calling my attention to that image, stirling...

modern art was the first type of painting where one could use a lot of black on the canvas. before modern art, using too much black was essentially making a hole in the canvas. abstract expressionism as a school originated in nyc...it's an american art form.
in the picture for the rather ripped vinyl we see a large area of art brut abstract expressionist style black over what appears to be a persian rug type of pattern. of course persia is now iran & the middle east. The juxtaposition of the ornamented, symmetrical style against the large area of the black that is almost invading & besmirching it is very powerful.
As an aesthetic, I personally enjoy this more than a picture of a persian rug. now if i were laying down an actual rug on the floor, i would prefer not to have a big "stain" on it. Ah, the mysteries of art.

sadly it's not that complex. it's just a referential christopher wool piece. the repeating pattern presented an opportunity to do something more clever with. an actually spraypainted stencil would have given the cover more dimension and complemented the texture. there were a lot of missed opportunities with it. it also would have been much better in just black and white. in this case, the red just screams of a manner in which to not get lost in the racks.
chabib is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|