View Single Post
Old 04.03.2022, 02:39 PM   #25088
_tunic_
invito al cielo

_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses
I watched two movies on Netflix that have a lot in common. Both are based on very intriguing true events that happened during WWII (or very shortly before actually in case of the first ), and both are (co)written by the lead actor. But unfortunately both weren't very good in telling the story.

It's (co)written by and stars stand-up comedian Eddie Izzard, she grew up in the area, but only heard of it at a later stage in her life. Shortly before WWII started there was a school in England for German girls including the daughters of high-ranked SS militaries.
She does a pretty good job in playing the teacher, and Judi Dench is always a pleasure, but all-in-all it's just lacking.

This movie is also based on true events that happened during WWII and is even more intriguing. During the war female spies were sent from the UK to France to support or set up the resistance over there and for communicating between the two countries. This movie tells the story about two of them. One of them was American, and was handicapped (she has a wooden leg). The other one had an Indian father and an American mother. She was born in Moscow and raised in London and Paris. Story wise it should be a full suspense edge of your seat war movie, but unfortunately it is shot like one of those cheapo British crime series, even though it's an American movie. It is actually written (and researched) entirely by Sarah Megan Thomas who plays the handicapped spy.

Even though it's not a top class movie, I would still recommend it if you're interested in knowing more about WWII . It's a chapter I never knew about. It doesn't have a happy ending though....

_tunic_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|