View Single Post
Old 05.08.2009, 10:38 AM   #52
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Bryan Ferry bugs me as much as any squeaky-voiced female vocalist ever could.
I like "dynamic" voices just fine. Diamanda Galas has a "dynamic" voice. So do a lot of the UK folk female vocalists I adore.

What I don't like are shrill, squeaky woman-child vocals that drip with affectation.

However, I could name any number of male vocalists who were the dealbreaker for their particular band or music.

All granted. I was more making a point about the capacity of the female voice to irritate more than a man's. I mean, I happen to think Ferry's an incredibly annoying singer, up there with Dylan/ Bowie/ all the Beatles in terms of 'voices that completely inhibit my enjoyment of the music'. Some days Reed and Sinatra annoy the hell out of me, but not always.

But the point is that if you put on, say, Harry Pussy, Sainkho Namchylak or Diamanda Galas on at the same time as the equivalent men (whose names escape me), chances are your average Joe [about whom I hate writing - terrifically vague] would hate the women's voices and just be passive to the men's.

Quote:
I think Bjork and Joanna Newsom are both incredibly talented
I've said it before, and I'll say it again - the ability to play the harp is by no means the same thing as playing the harp well. She has a 'unique' (and limited) voice. Bjork, I think, has a much greater capacity as a songwriter, but I can understand her voice putting people off. Out of curiosity, what do you make of Kukl?

Bush I've no problem with; Amos is the Pumpkins for people I don't want to punch; Deerhoof are amoung the shittest things I've ever seen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|