View Single Post
Old 05.20.2012, 07:05 AM   #15706
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murmer99
I agree. Despite its title, it isn't a typical zombie flick... I was surprised to see the battle between the shark and underwater zombie. Sounds silly on paper, but I thought it was very original. I haven't seen anything remotely close to it in a zombie film. The eyeball scene looked fake as hell but still managed to make me cringe a bit. The music and silence in certain scenes really worked. I find that silence is just as important as sound in a film to me. Sometimes it helps to exemplify a particular mood and I think it's crucial in this one. It's been a long time since I watched The New York Ripper, but I could've sworn it started off similar to this one... a scene in the New York Harbor comes to mind. I want to rewatch some of his titles to refresh my memory. I definitely prefer him over Argento, despite acknowledging some of Argento's strengths over Fulci.

I still think Fulci had the best zombies in that era. Romero had the better ideas about them but most of the ones in Dawn and Day are just extras painted blue, told to walk slowly. Fulci's look properly disgusting. The only one that could compete on that level was Return of the Living Dead, another one of my faves. But the scene at the end of Fulci's one, when the zombies are crossing the Brooklyn Bridge, is in a league of its own. And yeah, who can't love that zombie vs shark moment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murmer99
Also, I've realized that Clive Barker is a much more interesting writer than director. I wasn't too impressed with any of the Hellraiser stuff to be honest... and it's a shame because they had a lot of potential. Someone I know has told me a number of times about how Barker never thought of making a film and didn't know a thing about directing before making his debut feature. Not sure how true that is but if it's accurate then it all makes sense to me.

100% agree. The first Hellraiser is one of those films that I think really needs remaking by a better director, albeit with the same cast. I know I'm in a massive minority with that, though.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|