View Single Post
Old 02.23.2009, 03:23 AM   #1
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
Nels Cline wrote a song inspired by Thurston:

Shifting back to your new album, I imagine that the song “Thurston Country” is named after your friend Thurston Moore (of Sonic Youth fame)? Yeah, “Thurston County,” which is actually a real county, is named after him. Every time I drive through Thurston County and see the signs, how could I not think of Thurston? That piece was written after I thought I had finished the record, and I had listened to everything I recorded and I just thought the album needed something different, so I told Mark, my engineer friend, which I had been saying to him for five days, “Take a break, I'll call you when I'm ready.” We recorded and mixed that that song in one evening. There's not much to it, just a lot of guitars, the thing that sounds kind of like a drum is me just tapping on the back of the bridge of a guitar. That was fun to do it's a tribute to Thurston, it's got a Thurstonian riff, the so called verse riff which is blatant Thurston, it's in seven. I don't think Sonic Youth plays in seven anymore, no they don't because I listen to them constantly. Sonic Youth is a band that I think keep an interesting balance between spontaneity and fixed compositional elements. They're a huge favorite of mine. I have like four CD's with Thurston, I think. I've played with everyone in Sonic Youth except Kim. Some were completely improvised—the first one is called Pillow Wand, and there is some structure on that one, but it's mostly improvised.

http://www.jambands.com/Features/con...02_22.06.phtml
Moshe is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|