View Single Post
Old 01.30.2008, 03:03 AM   #92
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by █████████
teehee

well, for example
the solaris kernel is the best for multiprocessing and multithreading.
that's something the solaris kernel was designed for since the very beginning.
all the multi-core multiprocessors you keep hearing about (core duo's, quad core's, phenom's, etc. etc. etc.)
work better with multithreading.

it's not likely to happen, though, despite the fact that os x has already taken a couple of things from solaris.

but (i was reading) solaris is free and already has an 8-million user base? mostly geek/science/business of course. but also has a way to run contained linux apps. how hard would it be to make it user-friendly?

i tried running redhat 3-4 years ago & it was a nightmare. so ive been looking forward to OSX as "the user friendly UNIX"-- just crippled by limited hardware choices which breaks my balls.

but anyway-- do you foresee any kind of UNIX rising to become a win/mac competitor, not just a tool of hobbyists and specialized business apps?

--

ps- i gotta crash, will read tomorrow
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|