Thread: Nine Inch Nails
View Single Post
Old 07.28.2016, 09:36 AM   #61
Peterpuff
stalker

Peterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
SAME!

It really was a winning logo. I read as much as I could about Trent and NIN back in the day, and in one unofficial biography (not sure if there's an official one yet, but at the time this was all I could get my hands on) and reading about Trent coming up with the name. There were all these phalic meaning people were trying to attach to it, or S&M related messages, but turns out it didn't mean a goddamn thing. He just liked the way it looked on paper, liked how clean the acronym looked. Thought it was kind of elemental, which it was/is. It's like the Batman shield of rock logos. Everyone knows what it means, fan or not, old or young, 1987 to 2016. So yeah, it was a quietly, subtly brilliant marketing decision... there seemed to be all these deeper meanings in the words he chose, and the Halo business. The logo, at the end of the day, almost looks like a single cryptographic character. Something NIN had in common with my other electronic hero of that era, Richard D. James, and the multi-platform use of the Aphex Twin logo.

Exactly. That more symbolic cleaner stuff is what drew me in, and for the reasons you are stating. It always had that "You have to be 'in the know' to get it." Some of my earlier experiences with elitism I guess looking back on it, ha.

And that is interesting to hear about the band name. I was in the circle of friends that fell for the "that was the length of nail Christ was crucified with" rumor. Kind of blowing my mind now hearing I learned it wrong. I just never questioned it since the internet became such a thing, I guess. Ha. I guess I have learned something today!
Peterpuff is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|