View Single Post
Old 06.12.2006, 11:05 PM   #1
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
http://www.mp3.com/features/stories/4879.html

The queen of the experimental-rock jet set, Kim Gordon chats about Rather Ripped, the possibility of a solo album, and her daughter's self-discovery thru music.

Sonic Youth Listen to Rather Ripped here!
Free stream of Sonic Youth's latest album
Stream: Windows Media Player Required.
MP3: This year you're celebrating the 25th anniversary of the group and looking back to the first Sonic Youth release, the Noise Fest cassette, back in '82. Did you in any way anticipate all the success that has followed? Kim Gordon: No, I mean, of course not, but at the same time, things have moved pretty gradually. So, it's not like Nirvana or something outlandish. I mean, we've lasted so long and all that.

But everything has been so gradual that it's sort of all come from, just hard work and basically being at it. MP3: Do you think, had you actually become, say, an overnight success similar to Nirvana, it would have had a completely different impact on the group itself? Kim Gordon: I'm sure it probably would have. I think that really f**** with people. MP3: Since the beginning of the new millennium, the Sonic Youth doesn't seem to have slowed down at all. There have been four major releases and a few one-offs. From a fan's perspective, it seems as if you all could really go on forever. Do you feel that could actually be true--that Sonic Youth could record forever? Kim Gordon: Well, no. I mean, you know, at the same time it's just not something we think about. It's like sitting around thinking about how long you're going to live. I don't know. I think it all just happens. Something will happen, or we'll just--it'll be logical, like, well, no one wants to do it any more or something. But, you know, it's like you don't sit around thinking about it, so--. MP3: I guess, just from an outsider's perspective, it seems really incredible that a group of musicians could continue to record incredibly gorgeous and valid music for such a long period of time without seeming like you might tap the well, so to speak. The forthcoming album, Rather Ripped, it seems that you're getting back to just the four core members of the group, and I'm curious about the departure of Jim O'Rourke for this project, and also was it a conscious decision to go back to the four of you? Kim Gordon: Well, it was kind of accidental that Jim started playing with us, although it wasn't sudden...we hadn't really looked around to think who could be a fifth member. At the same time, we knew he probably would be passing through, and we were surprised he stayed as long as he did. But, so we weren't suddenly like "OK, but who else can we get?" We just basically, well, it was just natural that we would start working again as a foursome. Having said that, Mark Ibold is coming on tour to play bass with us, but he wasn't involved with this writing or recording or anything. MP3: Was it difficult to make the decision for a touring bassist? I'm sure many, many people would have loved to have filled that spot. Kim Gordon: Well, Mark Ibold was the only one I could really think of...because I had played with him before and, I could play a part like very complicated. And I didn't want somebody who was too much of like a conventional bass player, you know, something, someone more kittenish. MP3: Right. Like Les Claypool probably would have not been a good fit. Kim Gordon: Yes...and Mark is just so pleasant to have around, and everyone knows him, more or less, so it was actually kind of inspiring--inspirational idea on my part--if I don't say so. MP3: Well, I've had the album for about 24 hours now, and I've listened to it repeatedly. And two of the songs-- Kim Gordon: You're sick of it already?
Moshe is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|