View Single Post
Old 03.18.2017, 11:15 AM   #6852
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
What a song, man. I'd dedicate it to my hawt shrink, give her a CD or something (hey, the album IS called Transference!) but apparently that'd be rather inappropriate. Hmm. Also, she's married, so...

I have the Anti- edition of that disc, by the way — after "Nobody Gets Me But You" ends, there's a long silence (can't remember how long right now, but shorter than the one before Nevermind's "Endless, Nameless", to give you an idea) and then there's another bitchen song, "Mean Red Spider".

https://www.discogs.com/Spoon-Transf...elease/2120356

Oh man, I didn't know about this. Which surprises me, and makes me a bit ashamed.

There was a time when Spoon was, like, *my* band. Y'know when Modest Mouse started to eat shit for a living? It was around then. When Kill The Moonlight was still relatively new, but had already wormed its way into near-classic status. I won't say they ever took Sonic Youth's place, but they came close, just as Modest Mouse did before they turned into a bad joke.

I'd been aware of them since A Series of Seaks, and I loved that album to death because I could hear bits and pieces of the Pixies and Pavement and even Slint in that record. So that blew my mind. I wasn't immediately thrilled with the sound they went to after that, but it grew on me, and when it did, it hit me hard. In fact, I guess you could say everything hit at once ... AH-HAHAHA-TUT-TUT!!!

Eventually I'd Associated virtually all of my favorite Spoon songs with one heartbreak or another, and I had to kind of take a break. I don't listen to them a ton anymore, but when I do, I'm still just shocked at how totally on-point they've been at virtually every stage of their career. They're also one of the best live bands I've seen.

Something strange about seeing them on Kimmel with people screaming and shit. Remember when those guys couldn't get the mainstream music press to give them the time of day? Even after KTM, I'd go see them in a club and the floor would be about ⅓ full in some cases.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|