View Single Post
Old 08.14.2006, 02:50 AM   #312
Pookie
invito al cielo

Pookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by acousticrock87
Isn't his slang made up, though? I bought the book a little while ago to save for a time when I'm not swamped with other books, but I read the first page and looked up a few of the words, and they were all credited to him alone. Then I read the back and it mentioned something about fictitious slang. So pressumably, no one is familiar with it first time through.

It is made up but based on the Russian language.

Burgess was multi-lingual, and obsessed with words and word usage. He translated the subtitled film version of Cyrano De Bergerac so that it still rhymed and rhymed beautifully. He also invented the prehistoric language used in the film Quest For Fire.

He also wrote dozens of other novels, as well as books on linguistics and he composed symphonies and operas .

Read Earthly Powers if you want his best novel.
Pookie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|