View Single Post
Old 05.12.2009, 11:18 AM   #16
eternal
bad moon rising

eternal kicks all y'all's asseseternal kicks all y'all's asseseternal kicks all y'all's asseseternal kicks all y'all's asseseternal kicks all y'all's asseseternal kicks all y'all's asseseternal kicks all y'all's asseseternal kicks all y'all's asseseternal kicks all y'all's asseseternal kicks all y'all's asseseternal kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by terminal pharmacy
describe the sound, is it like a vinyl crackle but more accentuated? or is it more of a constant tone in the lower frequency range? if it is a low frequeny tone i would say you have and earthing issue, generally the is a little piece of wire coming down the audio signal cable which looks like this

. screw the piece of wire at the bottom of the pole near the symbol, this lifts the earth and the tone should disappear. if it is hum then it will be either 50 or 60hz depending on what country you are in, but that is irrelevant just something you may want to know as the issue is a power one and could be loacted on the within your house wiring... fun stuff but easy to fix with that little earth lift on the back of the amp. tone arms can cause feedback much like microphones and obviously the frquency of that feedback will be relative to your setup and room acoustics but it would be incredibly rare to have any loop gain issues in a domestic turntable setup.

if it is fuzz/crackle then have a close look at the stylus and make sure it looks normal, remove any fluff and dirt and grime from it. clean the record if you have been collecting these records for hanging on your wall then chances are you haven't been considering the quality of the records when buying them. if they have been stored poorly before or after you have bought them there could possibly be some warping on the vinyl which can cause an incorrect alignment of the groove and there really is nothing you can do to fix that. if your tone arm is balanced incorrectly and you have weighted it towards the stylus the stylus can be pushing to heavily into the groove. try readjusting, or maybe even do the reverse of what club dj's sometime do and chuck a lightish coin on the rear end with a piece of tape to lift the weight slightly from the groove. if all of that fails try a new stylus.

if that fails hang your vinyl back on the wall and go back to 128kbps mp3s...

ahah thanks for the detailed answer! it's certainly a more vinyl crackling but its just way more noticable then it should be. the stylus looks worn down and looks ancient. i tried re-balancing it, but it didnt help (i dont even have a proper tracking force on this "no-name" cartridge lol). I also dont see this ground wire thing anywhere that people are talking about. i just ordered a new cartridge since i dont trust putting this needle on any of my good records (i tested using depeche modes awful exciter album lol).

and for the record everyone (no pun intended), i didnt hack the vinyl on a wall by shoving duck tape on the record or anything lol. I meant i put a couple classics in some frames near my music system/collection ahaha
eternal is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|