View Single Post
Old 10.13.2008, 01:14 PM   #61
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
There is a major lack of Hip Hop going on. Hip Hop was easily the most relvant form of popular music in the 90's, and from 93-95, Hip Hop had never been better. I could have included any of the early Wu Tang albums on my list, especially "Liquid Swords", "Return to the 36 Chambers", and "Only Built for Cuban Linx..." because I love them all unequivocally, but I decided to go with "Enter the 36 Chambers" becasue I have listened to it literally hundreds of times in my life, and it more than any other record brings me back to Junior Year, driving around in my 96 Ford Explorer, smoking tons and tons of grass, and listening to this record and reciting every line word for word. Good times. Also, the Geto Boys "S/T" album is another one I'm surprised I havn't seen yet. The Geto Boys did for Hip Hop what the Dead Boys did for Punk Rock; they took an already new, radical, and extreme form of Popular Music, and made it more new, radical, and extreme. The Geto Boys actually scared people. They said things in the early 90's that pretty much all rappers (save for someone idiot like Necro or Eminem) today are still afraid to say. The beats are amazing, and we all know now that Scarface is one of the greatest lyricists of all time, but damn, he was just as good when he was 18 as he is now. Great record.

There also seems to be a lack of Noise on here, which is sort of surprising considering a lot of us dig the noise. I figured someone besides me would have included some To Live and Shave in LA or COCK ESP or Harry Pussy considering those are the bands who have had the most important influence on modern American Noise. Also, Japanoise flourished in the 90's, and I havn't really seen many Masonna, Merzbow, Haters, or Hijokiaidan albums either. Then again, it may seem that with Noise music, as much as one loves Noise, if that person likes Rock as well, thier favorite albums will most likely be rock albums and those are the records he/she will return to the most. I mean, what are you more likely to listen to 10 times in a row; "Damaged" or Masonna's "RRRecycled Casette"? Exactly.

Just some thoughts on the issue. Not trying to stir up arguements.
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|