View Single Post
Old 10.08.2011, 03:41 AM   #44
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

ann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's asses
I like Experimental Jet Set. I like how minimal it is. Sounds like Sonic Youth just rockin' out in a garage somewhere. Of course, the songs aren't as good as those off of Dirty, but it's still an interesting album.

I LOVE NYCG+F, if only because it stands out so well when compared to the rest of the records (I guess the same thing can be said about Rather Ripped, more on that later). It took a while for this one to grow on me, but when it did it never really stopped growing. It has that same "sonic mystery" vibe that came along with some of their earlier stuff (just really "out there" and thought provoking), but experimental in a different kind of way. The only SY album that I'll actually listen to while paying close attention to the lyrics (something I seldom do for any album). Just poetic and chaotic and beautiful and everything I love about Sonic Youth. Hear something new whenever I give it a listen.

As far as Rather Ripped: I always thought the album sounded very uninspired, which doesn't make for a very inspirational album whenever I'm (which is basically never) listening to it. A very "easy listen", which wasn't and isn't anything I ever wanted out of SY. There are a couple tracks that stand out, most notably "Rats" (but then again, almost everything Lee does is just fantastic). "Do You Believe In Rapture" has got to be the worst song in their entire catalog. Every great band, especially those that have been together so long, are allowed a terrible album here and there. Thankfully though, this is the only terrible album the Youth have been responsible for.