Thread: Girls Rock! DC
View Single Post
Old 08.17.2009, 02:09 AM   #21
infinitemusic
the destroyed room

infinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by swa(y)
i dont think kathleen hanna or lydia or patti or yoshimi or courtney or jennifer finch or kim gordon or tobi vail or whoever else would be nearly as cool if theyed "learned" their trade from some fuckin' camp. rock doesnt work like that.

holy shit...can someone really picture courtney love or even a male (think iggy or kurt or thurston) learning to be a "rocker". the whole thing is just silly.

Basically, this.

Quote:
I agree entirely in that their thoughts and feelings are those that belong to them and cannot be taught. But sometimes, especially when growing up in a world full of distractions and diversions, that some road blocks on the way to being able to express it can get in the way.

See, here's the thing: if they're so easily distracted, they probably don't really want to communicate and they probably don't have the passion to make good music. Or good anything. Writers often say that they don't really want to write, they HAVE to write to get it all out and then get over it. It's the same thing with music to a lot of people, and the simple fact is, the money behind it kind of changes that balance to where there will be people who want to get famous or rich, so they'll write songs kind of as an afterthought. I'm not saying these girls will be like that, but it's sort of a similar thing. If they need to make music, they will make music no matter what, even if they can't play a single chord (Lydia Lunch) and that's the type of music I want to hear.

..And I say all of this a guy who is extremely into female-made music. On top of the usual stuff like Stooges and Nirvana and Black Sabbath I'm hugely into Babes in Toyland, Patti Smith, Hole and even some totally unstereotypical stuff like Tori Amos. Seriously, I listen to Hole's first album practically every day. But these chicks made this music regardless of what people told them they could or should do. They didn't need permission, they just did it. And that's one of the things I like about it so much.
infinitemusic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|