View Single Post
Old 01.17.2016, 08:42 PM   #29
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper_green
besides. old SY still sounds pretty goddamn awesome. why bother with copy cats. unless there's a major personallty behind it and it blows your balls off.....why bother?

Massive understatement, but you're right. Early SY records ("early" is a bit relative with them, but let's assume you're talking about the '80s material) are more exciting to me on the umpteen-thousandth listen than most of the best new records are the first time around.

But I feel that way about Goo as well. And large chunks of both Dirty and Experimental Jet Set. And certainly everything from Washing Mashine - Nurse. (Love Ripped and the Eternal too, but in a different way).

But I digress... you're right. Sonic Youth still sounds so amazing that I only have a trivial curiosity about who might be the "new" version of them. Mostly because there is no new SY. If, at any time, there was, it probably would have been a role shared by Unwound, early '90s Pavement, late '90s Modest Mouse and early 00's Radiohead. But no single band has ever come close to being a full-fledged "new/next" Sonic Youth.

Quote:
has anyone heard Daydream Nation lately? it's like it never left the record player. it still creeps up the spine with feel good menace.

though im more a Sister type of person.

Yes! In fact, I listened to it while driving through a blizzard just ½ an hour ago. And I listened to it twice throughout the week.

It still sounds more powerful and relevant and glorious than virtually any other record I can think of. It still manages to push more serotonin ("Teen Age Riot"), dopamine ("Cross the Breeze"), and adrenaline ("Eliminator Jr") into my neruoreceptors than any pharmaceutical.

I'm more of a Sister kind of guy too. Always have been. Mostly because Sister represents a band in transition, from art-rock infused hardcore and schizo-punk to something far more seamless and unique. Sister shows a becoming the best band in the world. With Daydream, they were already there. They were in top form, and the record works like one uninterrupted epic thought. There's no growth taking place before your eyes on Daydream Nation. So even thought it's a perfect album, I have always leaned toward Sister as my "favorite."

But you're totally right. Daydream Nation is still, nearly three decades after its release, every bit as gripping, intelligent and seminal as it ever was. It also puts most music from just about any genre to shame.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|