View Single Post
Old 09.10.2015, 02:17 PM   #18
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
I'm not sure how much any record has really changed my life. Some bands have increased my appreciation for music, or changed my listening and music purchasing habits. But pinning those changes to one record is kind of unrealistic to me. More than one record it sort of a giant mess of this song or that song, particular live experiences, and various things I've read.

Certain friendships I have have used a shared love of music as a springboard to something greater, but again I couldn't highlight one record that was pivotal in this.

Public Enemy probably made me aware of more important real world issues that I didn't know about but that is thanks to their general message as a band, rather than one record or another, (I was 10 or 11 when I first heard them and I can't remember which album I heard first anyway).

Nirvana was a big deal for me and made me stop listening to everything else when I got into Nevermind. And then 36 Chambers got me back in to hiphop a few years later.

Pertinent to Sonic Youth, they have probably had a greater affect on broadening my tastes and also resulted in a few friendship that have spilled out from this message board and into real life, and even lead to trips to Greece and Montenegro. I guess the SY release that set me on the road to being a life long fan is The Year Punk Broke, which is VHS tape and not a record. So maybe there's your answer.
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|