View Single Post
Old 04.13.2006, 05:15 PM   #120
AllHandsOnTheBigOne
children of satan

AllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott v
ok, NOT in all cases that people listening to your music = more fans = more people showing up at concerts = more people buying the music.

that is an assumption, a rather safe assumption that that is happening, in reality for a band like Sonic Youth, due to their accessability which we all know they have limitations to (as compared to mainstream musics like the U2s and the Coldplays...etc etc) i think that outside their core fans they hold this "casche" value to alot of general music fans, alot of these folks will have an interest because they've heard of/about Sonic Youth (they caryy abit of a household name because of their relationship to "alternative" music) but of these folks how many do you really believe get turned on to what they hear? i believe its a limited number... and my opinion is supported from my experience of some of the types of people that i know who obtained leaked Nurse songs, these folks never bought the album, or went to the concert, are they fans? they say so...don't know why other than to be "hip".

Right, well what I meant is that the more people who have access to the music, the greater your fanbase is going to be. If only 5 people have access to your music, then you only have 5 potential fans. If 1,000,000 people have access to your music, you have that many more. More people listening to your music cannot hurt you in terms of economics.

And let's not pretend downloading instead of buying an album does any great harm to the artist themself.