View Single Post
Old 12.02.2013, 12:13 PM   #17473
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
Spot on. One of my all-time faves. Fritz Lang at his most pissed off. Gloria Grahame steals it for me. "Neat. Early nothing." The scenes with her after she's been disfigured are about as noir as noir gets. Although Kiss Me Deadly was 1955 so it isn't the last - although personally I think it's the best.

I always laugh at that bit. Did you know the actress playing the wife was Marlon Brando's sister?

Another bit of trivia, the scene at the end of Mean Streets when Harvey Keitel gets killed, the guy in his apartment is watching the wife's death scene in The Big Heat.

yeah i knew who jocelyn brando was but the weird thing is that i had learned it only a few days before while looking up info on jack smith (they were born in the same month, many years apart).

it was telling, i mean, i got it was from the 50s when bannion gets home and his wife is everything a 50s housewife should be-- she stretches the budget to afford steak, cooks it great, takes care of her kid, but can have fun too (drinks his beer and smokes his cigarette and i forget when there's some coded talk about fucking). superwoman! had to be the 50s, though the movie looked 40s.

gloria grahame steals the show of course but i didn't know until i read it later that in real life she was a bit of a pervo who fucked her stepson when he was 13-- and years later married him! ha ha ha. of course we don't look at predatory women the same way as we do men, i mean, i wanted nothing more at 13 than to bang some experienced lady, but still, so fucking wrong. eh, artists!

my wife sez she also played a morally dubious character in oklahoma, but i don't think i'll be watching that any time soon as musicals do to my nerves the same thing as the sound of forks scratching plates. but i expect to find her again as i'm lining up a little nicholas ray mini-festival (it was the son of nicholas ray she fucked and married, ha ha ha. owwwww!)

mean streets: i'll have to see it again at some point. i haven't in a long time because when i first saw it i thought it a bit overrated-- but i'd like to revisit it at some point

Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove
I just noticed THE BIG HEAT is on TCM tomorrow, along with a ton of other noirs. Bullets Or Ballots (1936), Little Caesar (1930), White Heat (1949), etc. A smorgasbord of shadows, venician blinds, guns, and femme fatales.

sweet!

EDIT --> here another weird concidence in my life right now: i was re-watching small time crooks yesterday and somewhere in the middle of it the woody allen character and his wife's cousin may are hanging out and watching a crime movie (just like demonyo said the character in mean streets, ha ha) . i just now realized (from wikipedia) it's fucking WHITE HEAT. which i should add to my list, even if it's not "a sign." but maybe it is, ha ha ha.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|