View Single Post
Old 04.02.2006, 04:57 AM   #11
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Hip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's asses
Orange Rolls, Angels Spit lets the LP down, I think. It's not bad, it's just that it feels like an interpolation on this LP. Which is a great shame, because even with that song this LP ranks very highly.

It starts wonderfully, with the feedback. Good job in a way, as all of that feedback srves to remind you that this isn't the straight-laced rock LP that some would have you believe. The way people talk sometimes, you'd think that 'Dirty' is an attempt at Green Day-style populism, which it is certainly not.

100%: very nice juxtapositioning of feedback and rock song. Obvious single choice.

Swimsuit Issue
: Kim's opener on the LP. Good social rant, hits the nail on the head in my opinion.

Thersa's Soundworld
: not one of my favourites on the LP, and for a while I skipped it, but now I realise that it's a well-placed and well-constructed piece that fits in nicely.

Drunken Butterfly
: the first classic. A great song, truly, full of energy, desire and burning noise. This is reflected, I think, in the quality of live performances of this song.

Shoot: Theresa's Soundworld and Shoot provide an important function on this LP ie they sandwich the maniacal intensity of Drunken Butterfly with something more mellow. This is pne of my favoured trsacks on the LP, nice ending.

Wish Fulfillment
: not one of Lee's best, but good enough.

Sugar Kane
: I sometimes wonder if two or three SY songs would have worked better as instrumentals. THis is one of them. It's still very fine though.

Orange Rolls, Angels Spit
: Um, I don't know what to say. It's never worked on the LP, to my mind. Good live though.

Youth Against Facism
: I love it, it's way under-rated in my opinion. Right from the start it thumps along majestically, good lyrics, great noises, very energetic and confrontational. Lee's performance in the video is great.

Nic Fit: overall, no thanks.

On The Strip: the first of the GReat Sonic Youth Double on this LP, On The Strip has great tune, great lyrics and vocals, and that wonderful instumental part. The post-instrumental part is all the better for it, too. Fantastic.

Chapel Hill
: the second of the GReat Sonic Youth Double, I think this song gives us Thurston's most accomplished vocal performance on record - rarely has something been so well suited to a song. Great tune too. A non-SY friend
recently commented that the inntro bit is reminiscent of the theme from the TV series 'Jim'll Fix It' - it is a bit, but it rocks too well for that to matter.

JC: Cool, nice lyrics.

Purr: the kind of song that one can't help feeling probably had an influence on other bands. Probably a really accomplished piece, from an analytical point of view. But I'm just guessing about that, really.

Créme Brûlèe
: energetic and fun, a nice way to sign off. I can never tell if I like this one more than I should, or if I cleverly appreciate a hidden jewel!

'Dirty' is probably my second favourite SY LP, for all that lists mean. It's a rock clssic, no doubt.

Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/outsidethecamp/
Hip Priest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|