View Single Post
Old 04.01.2006, 11:26 PM   #10
Neongod
the destroyed room

Neongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant future
I agree that Dirty is one the most accessible, though I prefer Goo in a head-to-head competition. Max rating = 4 stars and note this is relevant to the album and not all of SY's work. Here's my rundown:

100% - *** Great lyrics and catchy guitar work. Solid album opener...especially due to the drier songs on this album compared to earlier work.

Swimsuit Issue
- *1/2 I don't like it. The lyrics are poignant, but Kim's voice coupled with the music just doesn't work for me. Still, not the worst track on the album.

Thersa's Soundworld - **** Now this track I love from beginning to end. It's not old school SY, but then again they wouldn't reach that "redemption" until Washing Machine. The guitars are hypnotic, and the middle part rips you a new one. No flaws here.

Drunken Butterfly - **1/2 This one took a while to grow on me, but somehow Kim's howls fit perfectly. This is the track that should have been called "Dirty"...that's how it feels to me.

Shoot - ** Mellow, yet very aggressive (in the lyrics at least). Again, not the worst, but nothing that stands out and bites you.

Wish Fulfillment - *** A classic Lee song but the guitar in the chorus has always seeemed a bit off...a bit too forced or predictable perhaps...but you can't deny that this track is Lee at the top of his game. I favor Genetic, however.

Sugar Kane - **** Another "not quite SY-like" but it still owns nonetheless. A great rocker from start to finish.

Orange Rolls - * I can't get into this song...it's just TOO...if that makes sense...

Youth Against Facism - *** I'm going to go against the public opinion here and say that this song is in the same league as 100%. I love the lyrics, and though it is a simple rock song, it works for me. It's also pretty relevant today...about the president and all...and the Anita Hill line is classic (but I'm older, so I get if it's dated crap to the younger Youth fans).

Nic Fit - 1/2 Rumor has it this is what took Genetic off of Dirty. For shame!! I ALWAYS skip this track; I've been known to make duplicates of this CD without it.

On The Strip - ** The second of the 3 mellow Kim songs and it works. Best line "Hold tight and fear a little bit". Great lyrics, great mood, but it lacks the punch in the face of Drunken Butterfly.

Chapel Hill - **** Another song in the same vein as Theresa's and Sugar...and thus it kicks ass as do the aforementioned two.

JC - **** The best Kim song on the album. The lyrics and her sultry voice are perfect....this is Kim at her best (on this album at least). I love it.

Purr - ***1/2 A Thurston rocker that kicks your ass from the first note. It's one of those tracks that you KNOW influenced many bands afterwards. Straightforward, yet genius. Such is the beauty of SY. This is the kind of song that makes want to dance around your room...no matter who is watching.

Créme Brûlèe - * Kind of annoying, but I expect that from album closers. Nothing special here.

Stalker, Hendrix Necro, and Genetic are gold (though only the latter would rank as a **** track). Had I had any input, Orange Rolls, Nic Fit and Créme would be dumped in favor of these.

/mythoughts