View Single Post
Old 09.11.2014, 06:31 PM   #1073
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
I was going to totally agree with you until you mentioned 50 Cent being some kind of savior instead of a penultimate product of that cultural low point signified by the rise of Eminem

Fuck 50 Cent dude is whack.

Sorry man, I disagree. 50 Cent was like some kind of savior when he broke, because he was better than Em, and he actually threatened Em's rule.

Compared to the real deal, top shelf hip hop artists, like Kanye RZA/GZA/Rae/GFK, and the shit tons of other "up from the street"
emcees who turned their street savvy into marketing genius (Jay-Z, Danny Brown, so many others that I can't think of who to name next), then yeah- 50 Cent is a blip on the hip hop radar.

But when it comes to that weird brand of street rap that resonates immediately with mainstream audiences, leading to breakout sales and media notoriety... Heavy on showmanship and presentation, who are specifically going for the exact same type of success that Pac & Biggie had (and let's face it, that's 50's basic m.o.) he was a goddamn godsend compared to Eminem.

In My Hood, Death to my Enemies, pretty much all of Get Rich... And the Massacre, G-Unit, fuck, even Animal Ambition & Self-Destruct... I really enjoy those albums because they feel like no bullshit gangsta rap, and they're like perfectly designed for blasting at a party or bumpin' from your car stereo on your drive to work.

50's fun as hell, and some of his records are just classics. He'll never be, not has he ever been one of the great emcees or acts in the genre, and there's nothing genius about him, but I'd be talking out of my ass if I said he didn't bring me joy, dumb as some of his shit is, it's still like a downpour after a drought when compared to Eminem's sad dominion over every fucking part of popular culture.

Sev. out!
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|