View Single Post
Old 07.01.2011, 05:07 PM   #24
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Schunk
I forgot to provide an example of Charles Ives' music.

Here's a (very) brief introduction:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Cro8xaVy5E

Ah, you may have solved a mystery that's been plaguing me for ages. I read something about a composer who's name I could never remember and could never find any way of finding out, just by saying "He's American, meant to be great, into the American landscape". And I think that might be him. Finally!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazifan
a lot of, if not most of the major jewish (and non jewish as well) cultural figures in europe, namely vienna moved to los angeles. sp there was a period where schoenberg and adorno, stravinsky and many more were hanging there. so i think that influenced a lot of what was going on in the states and also moved the cultural focus to that side of the world for a bit.

Great point! A number of some of Europe's most interesting experimental filmmakers also moved there - largely to be as close as possible to Hollywood - but out of that came a really interesting west coast avant-garde film scene. I've got a real fetish for West Coast pop art and it's amazing how even now, even in the US, so little is written about it. So yeah, absolutely, there's a definite tendency to over-emphasise NY's role in it all.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|