View Single Post
Old 12.28.2018, 07:31 PM   #846
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by louder
I like the seriousness. I like the elaborate storytelling and imagery, and how the lyrics are delivered in an easily digested, accessible way.

I used to be huge into emo.. the quiet to loud dynamics blew me away at the time. But now the last thing I wanna hear is someone yelling off the top of his lungs about heartbreak.

Songs about a woman who has done you wrong or unrequited love are the last thing I wanna hear now in general.

This too.

I’m done with that period of my life where I like songs because they remind me of or bring back the feeling of longing/pining/being fucked over by some girl I thought I loved when I was young and stupid.

I was over that by the time I got into my last long-term relationship. And even when that relationship kind of melted, I still didn’t crave the melancholy shit.

In fact, songs that strike that chord AND are interesting from this decade (See, “Runaway,” or Bob Iver’s “OVER S∞∞N” — shut up it’s a goddamn great song — or however many Car Seat Headrest songs) have been actually harder for me to listen to than songs that don’t evoke those feelings.

And a LOT of the rock type shit I was drawn to evokes those eekings. I can’t tell you how many months on end I spent listening to Built to Spill’s “Perfect From Now On” in college... Jesus. And I still love — LOVE — that album, and I still love “Anthems for a Seventeen-Year-Old Gorl” and so on, but I just can’t even with a lot of that stuff anymore.

Too old. Too Irish. Too prone to bouts of alcoholism and sucking myself into my own vortex of sadness. Too much to do.

There’s a lot less of that shit in hip-hop and electronic music, and when it does come (which it obviously does) there’s usually a good amount of humor with it... that or it slaps like fucking unholy fuck.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|