Thread: Steve Reich
View Single Post
Old 05.06.2009, 04:48 PM   #11
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

terminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
I haven't heard Three Tales but I thought the Cave was simply hideous. Not as bad as the Glass/ Ginsberg record (which officially makes me hate minimalism) but just profoundly un-interesting. You can call me a purist, but opera simply has to be done by completely ridiculous personalities, it's too absurd a format for reasonable people. Glass' Einstein is an act of madness, but the Cave was far too reasonable.

Obviously, it's a shame to compare Glass and Reich, and there's obviously a world of differences in their music, but I feel they both come from a very similar cultural space, an attempt to consolidate repetitious music against the inherited indeterminacy of the New York school (or the post-Cageian axis, if you will).

I am not a fan of Glass at all, I mixed Einstein on the Beach Part i-iv a few years back and it drove me insane, particularly 'cos it was an opera/modern dance thing and i utterly despise the choreographer. Anyhow I did mix the shit out of it but the music itself kinda shits me. I'm not sure if you are calling the Cave opera or not, if you are I find that kinda strange as we may have differing opinions on what opera is, however you are more knowedgable about classical and modern classical than me. The only Glass piece I really like is The Thin Blue Line OST.
terminal pharmacy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|