View Single Post
Old 08.11.2017, 09:41 PM   #49013
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses

Weezer
The Lion And The Witch
2002, So Weezer wanted to make a live EP and limit it to 25,000 copies to be sold only in indie record stores. But the label got in the way. They for some reason urged the band to cut it down from eight songs to six, and that 25,000 wasn't so limited as my copy is in the 30,000's. It's a weird release. It chronicles the Maladroit tour in Japan - the first with Scott Shriner on bass. I mean, for fans it works. But it's got some odd decisions. Like why include this version of "El Scorcho" where Rivers botches lyrics? Or why this version of "Holiday" where Scott messes up his big vocal debut? Well that last one maybe because it was kind of funny. It's not bad though. "Island In The Sun" actually rocks here in a way the album version never did. And "Death And Destruction" feels way more fleshed out than on Maladroit. And dudes they nail "Falling For You" which Rivers doesn't sound confident will happen. But it's still a strangle little blip in their discography. At this point why not just get a proper live album really?

Ryan Adams & The Cardinals
Cold Roses
2005, The first of three albums Ryan Adams would release in 2005, and this one is a double album! Like most of his albums this one comes with a theme of sorts. This is The Cardinals' Grateful Dead album. I mean, it's even got "Roses" in the title. It's nice. It's certainly not one I reach for often, but it has a certain relaxed charm. The kind of album I throw on in the background while cleaning the house, but not something I necessarily pay close attention to. "Magnolia Mountain" is a pretty solid opener, but honestly I feel like the second disc is heavier with the good stuff. "Easy Plateau" and "Let It Ride" are just great chill-out tracks. "If I Am A Stranger" is far and away my favorite here with some of the most poignant lyrics on this record. And the closer, "Friends" is just gorgeous. Overall, it's a really good album but that's something tough in a discography of great albums.

and because it's weird that this is the SY forum, and I don't really spend as much time talking about my favorite band as I do listening to them...

Sonic Youth
Sonic Youth
1982, When I was 18 or 19 I realized that Sonic Youth was my favorite band ever. I went crazy tracking down all their albums. And this - their debut - took me over a year as it was out of print and I was determined to find them all without resorting to the internet. This one was out of print but I finally found it in a shop in Boston for $25. It was worth every penny. "The Burning Spear" is a brilliant way to begin a career with it's dubby bass line, electric drill and opening manifesto of "I'm not afraid to say I'm scared." "I Dreamed I Dream" is amazing. It is a slow beautiful dirge with Lee and Kim doing a rare duet. "She Is Not Alone" is near tribal. This record just came out of nowhere and created the blueprint for an incredible career. Though it was only five tracks (with the band still insisting it was an album), it was finally put back into print in 2006 with a second half that featured the earliest live recordings officially released by the band. This is just excellent.