View Single Post
Old 09.09.2010, 09:58 AM   #18
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
wouldn't it be cool if we had more, y'know, HONEST film critics who weren't concerned with asskissing? ... they'll tear Saw 7 a new asshole because it made by some no-name, but if it's some darling like Scorsese, mum's the word until retroactively they will undoubtedly state "WHILE IT WASN'T ONE OF HIS BEST WORKS......."). He hasn't been relevant in a long time. I've watched, oh, 500 films in the past year, and I can safely say that Shutter Island was the worst. Hahaha.

Yeah, but Scorsese poses a more complex problem for critics in that it's impossible not to watch a new film by him without remembering what he achieved in earlier ones. In that sense I think that critics, while never hostile to Scorsese, are often more reluctant to give the full backing to one of his later films simply because it doesn't match the standards of Mean Streets, Taxi Driver or Raging Bull. Had Bringing Out the Dead been made by anyone else it would've received absolutely rave reviews, I'm sure. His early successes, while cushioning him against outright attacks have also put a ceiling on the praise he's received for great films whose only crime has been that they've not been as good as Mean Streets or Taxi Driver (which very few films are).
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|