View Single Post
Old 11.10.2008, 08:11 AM   #1
cagedbird
the destroyed room

cagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's asses
Skating is taking on a new popularity in the New York/Tri-State Area. But what was it about skating that attracted the imagination of so many in the 90s as well? Maybe I need to rent Dogtown and Z-Boys. I assume it all goes back to California in the 70s, like so much of the Sonic Youth body of work. Is this a Kim Gordon phenomenon or can we assume that Thurston, Steve and Lee were equally under the sway of this scene due to their punk rock interests and the extreme availability of that music in that (Californian) scene? And why does this 70s phenomenon come back in the 90s, of all times? And again, why did Sonic Youth latch on to it so fiercely, as in the video of 100%? Maybe it's a hardcore thing, too. I am going in circles.
cagedbird is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|