View Single Post
Old 04.18.2007, 11:31 PM   #1
Sleek_Jeek
empty page

Sleek_Jeek has much to be proud ofSleek_Jeek has much to be proud ofSleek_Jeek has much to be proud ofSleek_Jeek has much to be proud ofSleek_Jeek has much to be proud ofSleek_Jeek has much to be proud ofSleek_Jeek has much to be proud ofSleek_Jeek has much to be proud ofSleek_Jeek has much to be proud ofSleek_Jeek has much to be proud of
So I was listening to a mix-cd I made... the track listing of which I will include here...
1. Needle in the Camel's Eye - Brian Eno
2. Salt Fare, North Sea - Chumbawumba
3. Dead Flowers and Dirt - Ghost Mice (from whichever album "Ghost Paul and Baribeau Mice" is supposed to be)
4. In Concert - the Faint
5. Suggestion - Fugazi
6. Temptation - New Order
7. They Live by Night - The Make Up
8. 24 hour party people - Happy Mondays
9. Parades Go By - Magnetic Fields
10. Call Call - the Faint
11. I'm Just Going to Leave - Defiance Ohio
12. Punk Love - Magnetic Fields
13. Total Trash - Sonic Youth ------ This is the track I wish to discuss.
14. Do you Realize - a song by a band I can't remember the name of performed by the Flaming Lips and then remixed by the Postal Service (i'm a total lame ass btw)
15. Petty Problems - Defiance Ohio
16. Peking Spring - Mission of Burma
17. Figure 8 - Ghost Mice
18. Bulldog Front - Fugazi
19. Buck Hill - the Replacements
20. You Lose - the Replacements
21. Hayday - the Replacements
22. Bull in the Heather - Sonic Youth
23. This Are Flashes - Q and Not U ----- (my favorite song, by my favorite band, from my fav album of theirs "Different Damage")

Ok now that I've provided all the nerdy details, I'd like to add (the emo-core details) that I made this mix because I was upset at the fact that an unfortunate turn of management had caused me to quit a job I'd held completely loyally for slightly less than 3 years (as a handyman and coffee shop employee at a music venue in Vienna, VA). visit their web site at jamminjava.com! OH GOD THEY'RE LAME! I mean, not really, but I'm not about putting people out, and they've got this tool from new york cleaning house right now. It sucks. It's not fair, and I was upset. So I made this cd, and toked up. I mean, I'm not joking, I got blazed out of my skull, and I recomend this to anyone who finds they can't move forward (morally) at a job they've loved.

Thats when the freaky shit happened.

I guess the cdr, or the cd-burner (or both) were dirty when I made this mix, and there was a slow build up of white noise around track nine, that I didn't notice until track 13. Track 13 was, of course, Total Trash, by everyone's fav band Sonic Youth. The way that track responded to the white noise was shocking, especially when I realized that my speakers weren't broken and the noise had gotten to other tracks as well. Basically it sounded like any frequencies which weren't occupied by the music were eaten up by genuine white noise. I could hear the music perfectly, but the fuzzy static was also there. During the slower, less intense parts it merely sounded like it was "framed" by this noise, which was very strange let me tell you. When they picked up the pace, the static seemed to swirl a little, but not in an unexpected way, and it didn't bleed into the music at all until they got into one of their ominous, feedback drenched breakdown jam-things. (---- there are a number of these in this song, in fact they play the same phrases each time, just building in intensity, but the one I'm talking about is the giant one that eats up most of this track from about the 3:10 mark until about the 6:00 mark) During this segment the static behaved completely erratically, where before it had been a slow drone it seemed to latch onto the bands insanity and follow along, until the noise drops, and then it was pretty much gone after the "climax" of the jam. After the jam there is a period where the track gets a little quieter, and the static was almost completely gone, until the hook starts up again and thurston comes in on the mic saying "It Started to Talk" and that (and every other time he says that specific phrase) is the only time the static overwhelms any part of the recording, and it is only his voice, that is affected by this phenomenon.

Seeing as this song is (I assume) about the way they use feedback and laziness to make music, I was totally shocked (as I could be, as inebriated as I was) by what I percieved to be a purposeful tie in of white noise on my end of the commercial production (me put cd, in cd player, I fuck up, they win.) So is it yet another studio trick that had gone unnoticed by my ears until I complied and played the track through fucked up speakers?

Am I insane? I know I was stoned, but seriously. The rest of the cd, I discovered after that track, was totally fucked, and you can barely hear the static in the tracks preceding sonic youth. I really wanna know if they somehow mixed everything so that this would happen, or, or, or, I dunno.

Somehow I wouldn't put it past this band to include imperceptable recording techniques to make their songs sound totally insane when blasted through busted speakers, or some other situation that might produce this type of response...

Anyone got any info?
Sleek_Jeek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|