View Single Post
Old 08.14.2017, 06:00 PM   #1537
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
I found season 1 of True Detect to be cool, but overwrought in a Se7en kind of manner. There was no supernatural anything, just a bunch of dickheads missing the obvious clues as to the murderer STANDING RIGHT BEHIND THEM.... It was overrated by people who had been too used to standard TV trope police procedurals. The acting and direction was top notch though, and overall I "enjoyed' it.

Season 2 I found more interesting because it was not about catching a bad guy, it was about what happens to people who are involved in that world. I liked it in ways I did not like the first one, and I am one of the few that really dug Vince Vaughn in it. he was awesome.

Agree abut season 2. Vince Vaughn did a great job. When I first learned he was being cast, I was like... "UHHH." But he actually nailed it. He was not your typical gangster at all. He was not even your multi-tiered sociopath gangster like Tony Soprano. He was just a proud hardworking dude, living in that world, as you said. I thought he was great.

I think the first season was more of a true mystery, and yes, more about "catching a bad guy," bit I think it was also about what happens to people who are "in that world." I know it was overhyped but I think it deserved the praise. But I actually think the storyline of the second season was more original.

The first was better though. Just... goddamn. That deep cover shootout scene, with the 30-minute continuous shot just blew my fucking mind. Matthew Mcconaughey may have won an Oscar for Dallas Buyers Club, but I think TD is his best performance to date. I still can barely believe that's the Surfer Dude dude... the non-entity from Contact. He was electrifying.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|