View Single Post
Old 04.15.2006, 09:03 AM   #3
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
1000 copies is pretty damn huge for most of the stuff I buy.
You'd be surprised how hard it can be to sell even 1000 copies of something, even for a relatively "established" underground act. 500-750 is pretty normal, and pressings of that size don't actually sell out as fast as you might think. Mutant Music still has a little less than half of the first Paul Metzger LP, for instance, and he got a LOT of press this past year for his banjo improvisations CD on Chairkickers Union.
For CDs, you get a good break at 1000 copies, but for vinyl I think 500-1000 is what most people do.
In my personal experience, only one of Salamander's albums sold out super quickly, and that was "Birds Of Appetite" on vinyl, which we made 300 copies of, but I don't know if we could have sold more than that in any case. It was our 3rd album.
I think of "ridiculously limited" as being less than 100, like those lathe cut records people make as art editions. I have a few of those, and they are cool to have.
2000 copies is a lot for a minimum, even for more "established" acts.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|