View Single Post
Old 05.02.2014, 05:23 AM   #62
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

ann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by guest
you know what, I think demolished thoughts is fucking stunning. I've always enjoyed the record but it seemed to fall by the wayside a bit given what happened back then. in comparing it to CLM, it actually feels like thurston being as opposed to mere youthful posturing. beck's production is understated but nonetheless intricate, the accompaniment as has been noted makes perfect sense, with the violin drones atoning for dissonant guitars etc., and thurston's playing is more intricate than ever. his songwriting was honestly insane here, some of the best it has ever been. I mean for christ's sake, space is a perfect piece of music, don't give a fuck what anyone says. not the kind of record you'd really want him to make again, but proves that he can take what he brings/brought to sy and distill it into something just as potent. first time a song-based thurston record has matched a late-period sonic record on a song-for-song basis. trees was good but only intermittently did the songs define themselves as something more than a piece written while taking a dump. psychic hearts can be pretty dry if you're not in the mood, largely because it's not dry at all, but elegy for all the dead rock stars is easily one of the best songs in the sonic canon for sure. his solo noise recordings and collaborations have always been interesting at worst as well.

Agreed, 100%.

I haven't burned myself out on Demolished Thoughts yet...while I seldom find myself listening to Psychic <3's. and basically never Trees. It's a really dark, "hauntingly beautiful" (a description I've heard far too often for far too many things, but it works here), record. Love it.