View Single Post
Old 09.25.2014, 03:52 PM   #46992
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
listened to the new Aphex Twin.

@sev: Don't be mad. Didn't love it on first listen. Some good songs. But just wasn't wow'd like I hoped. The first time I heard Chosen Lords I felt more attached immediately than this. :\

I ain't mad atcha... I just simply don't feel the same way.

SYRO is SO satisfying. No, it's not the mind blower that a lot of people wanted it to be, but it's also not old and boring sounding. It's not (no offense to mbv) fucking m b v, which was more like an old album mastered to sound like something modern.

But you know... It's not the last Aphex Twin album, so there's no need for it to be more epic than it is. It's highly musical, thorough, complex and rich. Kind of like Plaid's Reachy Prints, it's a bright, bold and utterly recognizable return to form record that delivers a balanced listening experience. There aren't a lot of high highs or low lows. Nothing to grandiose or warped, no "Windowlicker" and no Drukqs. It's just a really goddamn high quality record.

I'm glad I didn't spoil the whole album for myself by listening to it all ahead of time. Nothing on the album disappoints, and I can't imagine it not landing in my top 5 at year's end.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|